Many Ys, one cause: strengthening community!
The Y is a powerful association of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. We believe that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we work together to invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. That's why, at the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors in more than 10,0000 communities to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
“We do what we do because we want individual men, women, boys and girls to have access to this great rich thing we call the YMCA Experience. All that we do is focused on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.”
-Douglas R. Kohl
President/CEO, Akron Area YMCA
Our Areas of Focus: For Youth Development
Nurturing the potential of every child and teen. We believe all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. That's why, through the Y, millions of youth today are cultivating the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and educational achievement.
- Instilling a sense of belonging in 1,200 kids at 9 Summer Day Camp centers
- Encourages teens to develop leadership skills through Teen Leadership programs
- Supporting 160 students daily in the Phoenix Alternative Education Program
- Coaching over 600 young athletes in youth sports, competitive swimming and gymnastics teams
“I’m so excited! The YMCA is so very, very awesome. It’s fun and I love it.”
YMCA Crafts Program Expert
For Healthy Living
Improving the nation's health and well-being. In communities across the nation, the Y is a leading voice on health and well-being. With a mission centered on balance, the Y brings families closer together, encourages good health and fosters connections through fitness, sports, fun and shared interests. As a result, millions of youth, adults and families are receiving the support, guidance and resources needed to achieve greater health and well-being for their spirit, mind and body.
- Supervising 1,500 children in Child Watch while parents participate in Y programs
- Serving 1,000 kids daily in Before and After School Enrichment at 30 sites
- Organizing 3,700 parent and child teams during weekend campouts
- Offering Arthritis Swim Classes to 300 senior citizens
“It's hard for my husband to leave us for active duty at Fort Hood. Managing four little ones on my own is a real challenge. Going to the YMCA was the first time I was able to get out of the house with all four of my children. The YMCA recognizes my kids and supports me everyday. It's become a familiar thing and something we can count on.”
-Walter Family (Connected)
YMCA Military Assistance Program
For Social Responsibility
Giving back and providing support to our neighbors. The Y has been listening and responding to our communities' most critical social needs for 165 years. Whether developing skills or emotional well-being through educations and training, welcoming and connecting diverse demographic populations through global services, preventing chronic disease and building healthier communities through collaborations with policymakers, the Y fosters the care and respect all people need and deserve.
- Hosting Healthy Kids Day for over 250 kids, teens, adults and families
- Supporting health and wellness by providing Partners With Youth scholarships
- Involving over 2,000 volunteers in community programs
- Collaborating with over 100 organizations and agencies
“The YMCA provides a connection for us to give back to the community. Sometimes our church is perceived as being a handout. The Y provides a great partnership for our teens and us to lend a hand to serve. Families look for a place to belong. It is a joy for us.”
-Randy Chestnut (Strengthening Communities)
Past Pastor, Church of the Hills and YMCA Volunteer