Download 2009 America On the Move Week Highlights >>
Download 2009 Healthy Kids Day Highlights >>
Activate America® is the YMCA's bold approach to directly addressing our nation's growing health crisis. This non-profit initiative encourages individuals, families and communities to make positive changes towards a healthier way of life by promoting an active lifestyle and healthy eating. The Akron Area YMCA is best equipped to influence change in individuals and in our communities to proactively address this health crisis, which is central to the achievement of our mission.
The Akron Area YMCA supports Activate America with healthy programs, involving our communities. Hosting America On the Move in the fall and Healthy Kids Day in the Spring, the YMCA reaches out to Health Seekers and supports individuals of all ages to manage their weight effectively through energy balance. In order to reflect the bold vision within Activate America®:
- We support healthy lifestyles by reaching out and engaging all those who seek well being of spirit, mind and body.
- We create and sustain healthier communities by actively participating within the community and connecting our networks and resources to influence decisions that impact health.
YMCAs demonstrate their commitment to Activate America® in the following ways:
- More than 400 YMCAs across the country are in the process of redefining themselves and engaging their communities to provide better opportunities for people of all ages in their pursuit of health and well-being in spirit, mind and body.
- Over 900 YMCAs joined September’s America On the Move Week. During this week, YMCAs host events and activities to motivate people to take 2,000 more steps a day.
- Annually, more than 1,400 YMCAs host a YMCA Healthy Kids® Day each spring. This is an interactive special event where fun and engaging activities encourage children and families to adopt behaviors that support a healthy lifestyle.
- YMCAs in nearly all-50 states are a part of Pioneering Healthier Communities, a project that engages key community stakeholders to develop strategies that reduce barriers and increase support for healthy living in local communities.
- National partners who provide expert advice to YMCAs across the country regarding Activate America® include Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Steps to a Healthier US initiative, Harvard School of Public Health, Stanford University School of Medicine, Disney Channel, Kellogg Company, JCPenney After school Fund, Kimberly-Clark Corporation and PepsiCo.
Please contact your YMCA directly to learn their level of participation in these projects and events.
- More than 80% of the 2,663 YMCAs across the nation have made a commitment to Activate America®. We, at the YMCA, aspire to model and celebrate healthy living in all that we do. We invite you to visit your local YMCA and learn how the Y is working to make your community a healthier place to live.