making sense of insurance
Benefits with the y
Benefits with the y
First off, we get it.
Understanding the Medicare maze is difficult -- even for us.
But, what we do understand, is the value of having you as Members of our Y. So, please take a moment to read through a hopefully understandable explanation of what's going on with some of the plans. If this still doesn't make sense, please talk to the Membership Director at your favorite branch. Together, you can find answers without any disruption of your activities at the Y.
SilverSneakers remains one of the largest programs providing access to the YMCA. SilverSneaker members can visit the YMCA for free. SilverSneakers covers 100% of your YMCA membership dues; your cost is covered entirely by your healthcare or supliment provider. The YMCA also has special classes designed specifically for SilverSneaker participants.
On January 1st, 2019 AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance will discontinue participation in the SilverSneakers program. No other changes to SilverSneakers participation will occur.
AARP Medicare Supplement Plans are changing their program in 2019. Their new custom program Health Your Way will replace their participation in SilverSneakers.
- Starting on January 1st, 2019 AARP will no longer participate in Silver Sneakers.
- AARP's new plan called, Health Your Way will be offered at the YMCA.
- Health Your Way covers 50% of your membership dues. Currently, this means that the member's portion of these dues are:
- $17.64/mo +tax Older Adult (Age 65+)
- $23.95/mo +tax Older Adult Couple (same Address)
Optum Fitness Advantage is becoming RenewActive. The YMCA will continue to provide access to members with this benefit. There are no changes other than the name.
- Optum Fitness Advantage will become RenewActive on January 1, 2019
- RenewActive covers 100% of your membership dues.
- RenewActive is availale to some UnitedHealthcare plans, but not all. Some UnitedHealthcare plans still participate in SilverSneakers and some do not offer a wellness center benefit, check your eligibility below.
UnitedHelthcare's Fitness Reimbursement Program is for non-medicare participants who are eligible for this benefit. Eligible participants pay full price for their membership at the YMCA. The YMCA tracks and submits your usage to UnitedHealthcare. If you meet the minimum number of visits requirement each month, UnitedHealthcare reimburses the member for a portion of their membership dues.